MSc in Computer Science (Conversion)
The M.Sc in Computer Science (Conversion) is primarily intended to give suitably qualified students the opportunity to enter the information and computer technology job market with the necessary basic knowledge and experience for a career in this sector. The coursework is practically orientated, with an emphasis on developing coding skills and competency in emerging technologies. It is recommended that applicants have passed Leaving certificate honours mathematics or equivalent.
- Applications are open to students who have minimal or no formal Computer Science or Programming experience and who have completed a recognised degree.
- The course is full-time and runs over a 15 month period from September 2013 to December 2014.
- Exams take place at the end of each semester including the Summer term.
- The course is delivered at two venues, UCD, Belfield and the Institute of Public Administration, Lansdowne Road. Blocks of lectures are split between these venues each week.
Students will take all the following modules. Modules consist of between 24 and 48 hours of lectures, supplementary practicals and autonomous student learning.
Semester 1 (Sept –Dec 2013)
1. Introduction to Internet Technologies.
2. Introduction to Java Programming.
3. Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Enterprise.
4. Foundations of Hardware and Software (Course extends over two semesters).
Semester 2 (Jan – April 2014)
( 4. Continuation)
5. Introduction to Databases & Information systems.
6. Advanced Java, Data structures and Algorithms.
7. Operating Systems.
8. Programming project commencement.
Summer Term (May – July 2014)
9. Systems Management
Semester 3 (Sept- Dec 2014) Course Electives
A range of modules will be offered from which students will be entitled to make a restricted choice. Modules will be available in at least the following thematic areas:
- Software engineering.
- Digital media.
- Topics on the Cloud space.
See brochure link below
Applications will be accepted on-line only (www.ucd.ie/apply) up to 17:00 on Wednesday 7th August, 2013.
See www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/2013/index.html for details.
For more information on this MSc programme, please contact the Course Administrator, Clare Comerford, at .
Mr Damian Dalton (UCD), Senior Lecturer, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel.: +353 (0) 1 7162477
Mr Martin Speers, Director of M.Sc. (Conversion), IPA, email: , tel: 353 (0) 1 2403651